Did you know that you’re supposed to clean your makeup brushes at least once a week? Yet we’re willing to bet that there are some of you out there who have never cleaned them!
Cleaning your brushes is essential for keeping bacteria build-up at bay, which can lead to breakouts and other skin problems. Plus, do you really want to apply makeup with a brush caked in old, dry foundation?
Here’s how to clean your brushes without damaging them:
- Fill a clean sink or washing up bowl with warm (not hot) water and put your brushes in. Cleaning brushes in hot water can cause the glue which holds the bristles in place to melt, causing the bristles to fall out.
- Squeeze some gentle soap such as liquid castile soap into the palm of your hand.
- With the other hand, gently swirl the bristles of one of your brushes in the shampoo or soap in a circular motion. You should see the makeup start to loosen and lift from the bristles.
- Rinse the brush in the bowl of water.
- Repeat steps 2 - 4 until your brush is makeup-free and completely clean.
- Give your clean brush a rinse under warm running water.
- Leave to dry laid flat, preferably with the bristles hanging over the edge of a surface so they’re exposed to the air. Do NOT attempt to use a hair dryer or radiator to dry them, as the bristles may fall out or burn!
- Repeat steps 2 - 7 for each of your brushes.
Voila! Once they’re dry, you’ll have a set of soft, clean makeup brushes that feel as good as new. Make sure to do this once a week to avoid having to do a ‘deep clean’ next time!